The Tampa Bay Rays were brutalized in New York for three games as they were outscored, 21-4. Yesterday afternoon, the reigning Cy Young winner, Blake Snell managed to record just one out as he struggled to find the strike zone. Colin Poche came on in relief and allowed several inherited runners to score, putting Snell on the hook for a total of six runs.
The Rays offense was mainly held in check by CC Sabathia as they only scored one run again him.
All in all, it was a dreadful game to cap off a dreadful series.
The Rays will now head to Oakland, where they’ll play a four game series against the Athletics.
News and Links
- Hagan v. Kriseman III (or is it IV?): This time it’s personal - Charlie Frago, Tampa Bay Times
After Hillsborough County Commissioner Ken Hagan says St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman is endangering the region’s chances to keep the Tampa Bay Rays, Kriseman says Hagan ‘needs to be benched.’ The latest squabble over the fate of Major League Baseball in Tampa Bay.
- Infielder Daniel Robertson returns to Rays looking to reset his season - Eduardo A. Encina, Tampa Bay Times
Mired in season-long slump, Robertson said a few days away helped him clear his head.
- Wondering what’s wrong with Blake Snell? You might not believe the answer - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times
His ERA has nearly doubled from last year but the reigning Cy Young Award winner can still be as nasty as ever.
- Rays prospect wins two Home Run Derbies in two days; celebrations include colossal bat flip - Katherine Acquavella, CBS Sports
“There are a lot of organizations, after two elbow surgeries, I don’t get back to this point. The Rays have kept the faith and let me do my thing and get healthy and come and show what they drafted me for.”
- Selig: New Ballpark Would Help Rays Succeed in Tampa Bay - Zach Spedden, Ballpark Digest
Pointing to the strengths of the Tampa Bay market, former Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig recently said he believes a new ballpark could reverse the Tampa Bay Rays‘ attendance struggles.
- Former commissioner Bud Selig says Tampa Bay still has potential as MLB market - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times
Selig, who has been critical of Tampa Bay’s attendance problems in the past, suggests a new stadium could solve the problem.
- How should the Mets approach the trade deadline? Analyzing three very different scenarios for the team - Tim Britton, The Athletic
Britton looks at possible scenarios for the New York Mets as the trade deadline approaches. He brings up the Rays as a possible trading partner as they could be interested in RHP Edwin Diaz or C Wilson Ramos.
- A’s catcher Beau Taylor’s professional career hasn’t been picture-perfect, but the journey’s been worth the ride - Melissa Lockard, The Athletic
One of the few players in baseball who grew up as a fan of the Rays
- John Sickels’ Top 100 prospects (UPDATED) - John Sickels, The Athletic
Wander Franco is number one, nine Rays prospects are ranked among the top 100