The Rays earned the split in Oakland on Sunday afternoon, and if they can keep treading water while passing through this painful stretch, that’s maybe the most we can ask for at this moment. Jose Alvarado isn’t back quite yet, Diego Castillo is on the IL which is where he can do the least damage these days, and the move we keep saying is going to help them seems perpetually a few weeks off.
The good news is that the Rays get Monday off, but it’s their first off day in three weeks, and they won’t have another until the All-Star Break, so let’s make the most of it, huh? Say hi to your husband for the first time in a month. Go to your kid’s Little League game and make enough of a scene that it feels like you were there for a lot more of them... Ok, you know, maybe just take some deep breathes and play with the trade machine.
Rays News and Links
- The Rays Montreal Plan: A Peak behind the Curtain — A lot of the Rays new over the weekend was the steady trickle, of Tampontreal Ex-Rays stories, with the Times giving a full scoop the best go-to read of them all.
- Catch some Florida Rays in Orlando — Although this was an interesting take, too.
- From undrafted to the big leagues: Mike Brosseau’s strong season earns major league call up from Rays — This was my personal favorite story from the weekend, and I’m sure many of yours as well.
- Sunday Notes: Tyler Clippard’s New Pitch Came out of His Back Pocket — I love how frequently the Rays appear in Sunday Notes, since it’s a must-read regardless. Kyle Snyder gets some love this week.
- Rays, Rowdies announce second doubleheader ticket package — Very cool!
- AL outfield All-Star finalists for Starters Edition — Hopefully Meadows start cooking again so the Rays get an appropriate number of reps at this year’s Midsummer Classic.
Tweet of the Weekend
Frankie Montas, PED ban, 80 games— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) June 21, 2019
The irony of this being a day after facing the Rays... Didn’t say it was a good tweet of the weekend...