Previously on ‘Rays Stadium Saga,’ Rays owner Stuart Sternberg recieved preliminary permission to explore the possibility of splitting home games between St. Petersburg and Montreal.
#Rays permission from MLB is for premlimiary exploration of splitting season in Montreal. Among many hurdles, plan would require approval from St. Pete, players union, others. Wouldn't start for several seasons.— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 20, 2019
This was quite a twist, especially on the heels of the news that Sternberg planned to spend more time in the bay area, hoping to counteract one of his biggest criticisms.
But it wasn’t the only twist in the episode.
#Rays plan for Montreal already appears near death. St Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman says he told team he would not grant permission for talks with Montreal. Rays have use agreement with St Pete until 2027.— John Romano (@romano_tbtimes) June 20, 2019
It concluded with a PR friendly statement by the Rays on Sternberg’s behalf.
Unsurprisingly, this cliffhanger of an ending left fans with more questions than answers. Luckily, Sternberg, along with team executives Matt Silverman and Brian Auld, look to answer some of those questions in today’s episode.
LIVE COVERAGE || @RaysBaseball Press Conference feat #RaysUp Owner Stu Sternberg among others discussing potential TB/MONT split season concept— Tampa Bay's Sports Radio WDAE (@953WDAE) June 25, 2019
TODAY AT 1pm
TUNE IN: 95.3FM | 620AM | Streaming LIVE At https://t.co/ofcFkfysEx On @iHeartRadio pic.twitter.com/dyrCKHkPfa
Have your popcorn and Twitter thumbs ready y’all, this thing is far from over.
- Glasnow to be shut down for three more weeks; Castillo to miss 2 weeks, Robertson 4-6
- TWIRB: interviews with Willy Adames and Doug Waechter
- Juan Toribio answers your questions
- A new Rays pitcher has emerged as a Cy Young candidate
- Selling the Montreal plan may require burning a bridge for the Rays - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times
- Beyond the initial hurt, see the positives - Ernest Hooper, Tampa Bay Times
- Blake Snell looks to rebound by establishing fastball - Eduardo Encina, Tampa Bay Times
- Power Rankings from The Athletic, MLB, and ESPN