Well, that was quite the weekend. After scoring two runs over the first 29 (!) innings of their series with Detroit, the Rays bats woke up when we needed them most, scoring two in the eighth and two in the ninth to do the weekend double dip on walk-offs.
Ji-Man Choi was the hero this time, appropriate given how quick he was with the gatorade with Mike Brosseau the night before.
The Rays continue their winnable August with a three-game set at the Trop against Seattle on Monday. The Rays swept the Mariners in Seattle last weekend, but we all know the Rays strange home/road success this season, and those three wins came by a combined four runs. Monday’s series opener pits Marco Gonzales against Brendan McKay, and while I won’t do a full Rays Betting Series on it, I wouldn’t mind an emotional hedge given the state of the Rays offense and the heavy bullpen usage over the weekend.
(Hopefully that reverse jinx will help.)
Rays News and Links
- MLB Best Tools 2019: Managers, Scouts & Executives vote on baseball’s best talent — Plenty of Rays in here.
- Try to explain why the Rays are better on the road — So, this is going to be a thing, huh?
- Rays seeks success at home against Mariners — Yahoo preview.
- ESPN Power Rankings — No. 7 and behind Oakland... hmmmm
- Detroit Tigers bullpen collapses in 2nd staight walk-off loss to Rays — What the other side thinks after our happy endings.
- Former Ferris star Andrew Kittredge finds a major-league home with Rays — Hometown lens.
- Prediction, preview, and odds: Seattle vs. Tampa Bay — With a gambling tilt.
- Poll: Who will be the AL’s Wild card teams? — Over at MLB Trade Rumors.
- Tropicana Field review — In case you care what this dude thinks... it’s better than he thought it would be! (Monday’s are slow for articles, OK?!)