The Rays finished off the season sweep of the Miami Marlins on Sunday, continuing their 2019 trend of Beating The Team They Need To Beat—a great skill for any team looking to keep playing baseball into October.
Monday sees Toronto come to town, a team the Rays have had plenty of success against as well, with a 7-2 record on the season against the Jays so far in 2019. We’ve been pointing to August all season as the time the Rays would need to make their run, so far they’re playing it to perfection. Let’s keep it up, champs.
News and Links
- Rays suddenly humming toward a September song — The Yanks burying the Sox this weekend didn’t hurt, as it now appears to be a three-teams-for-two-spots AL wild card race.
- Matt Riddle throws out first pitch in Tampa Bay, takes out Ray the mascot — For all y’all wrestling fans out there.
- Sunday Notes — Brief comments on the Kolarek debacle against the Red Sox.
- A quick look at midsummer intradivisional trades: AL edition — The Rays refuse to do business with the Yanks (at the deadline).
- Kriseman confirms Tampa Bay Rays didn’t make a “formal request” to explore Montreal idea — It always seemed a bit pie in the sky.
Twitter Exchange of the Weekend
yOU'RE LITERALLY THE ANIMAL THAT KILLED STEVE IRWIN LOG OFF— Miami Marlins (@Marlins) August 4, 2019
This whole exchange is the most attention anyone has paid to the Marlins since 2003. You’re welcome, Miami.