As per usual, Charlie Morton pitched a great game, delivering another 7 inning, 9 strikeout performance. If it weren’t for the two solo home runs given up to rookie Bo Bichette, who knows how long this game could’ve gone.
Morton, in his first year as a Ray, has been truly sensational. Second in the American League in pitching WAR (FanGraphs) the 35-year-old righty is rates at least in the 80th in all of the following categories: Exit Velocity (80th), Hard Hit % (82nd), xwOBA (91st), xBA (83rd) and xSLG (93rd).
For a pitching staff decimated by injury. Morton has been the Rays’ horse.
- TWIRB: Matt Duffy, Andy Freed, Dave Wills, Brian Anderson, Erik Neander and more
- Updated Cy Young Poll: Morton remains in the top 3
- Rays hope newest additions can help offense to continue in right direction: Josh Tolentino, The Athletic
- MLB Tiers: In a new take on The Athletic’s power rankings
- With Yonny out, Rays have to get more creative: Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times
- ICYMI: Rays playoff odds are looking better than ever
The Rays look to rebound tonight and start a new winning streak: