- Rays hope Mike Zunino regains swing in familiar surroundings - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Mike Zunino returns to the Pacific Northwest and hopes to also live up to the classic refrain of “Mike Zunino is Good”.
- Prospects who can help postseason contenders - Jim Callis, MLB.com: Nate Lowe comes in on the list at number 5. His big bat could prove important down the stretch, but playing time still figures to be a tricky thing to figure out.
- Look beyond the stats for these AL East players - Jesse Sanchez, MLB.com: Willy Adames gets some love.
- Rays have been on point with their promotions this year:
- Emily Walden had Shane Baz sitting 97-99 MPH and topping 100 MPH, with a very unfair (and frankly rude to Pirates fans) 88 MPH Slider to go with it:
88 MPH slider from #Rays Shane Baz.— Emily Waldon (@EmilyCWaldon) August 7, 2019
Fastball accelerated in the 2nd IP sitting 97-99 MPH and topping out at 100.
Mix overall has been effective, has just missed his spots here and there. The FB/SL combo is vicious. @TheAthleticTB pic.twitter.com/bQXYTB4iko
Around the League
- ‘Field of Dreams’ will host its first MLB game. (Sort of.) - Jacob Bogage, Washington Post: Yankees and White Sox are set to play at the Field of Dreams...adjacent.
- 3D Rendering of Field of Dreams (new stadium): It really takes a lot of the “cool” out of it when you realize Aaron Judge won’t be disappearing into a corn field trying to rob a home run.
- Lucas Giolito’s Wife Calls Out Anthony Swarzak’s Wife For Being Ignorant Toward Tim Anderson’s Wife - Samer Kalaf, Deadspin: A true quote from Elizabeth Swarzak is “Apparently there’s some confusion about white nationalism”.
- Chicago Cubs Javier Baez tried his hand at hitting left-handed (reminder: he is not a switch hitter):
- Tennis pro Monica Puig served a first “pitch” to her boyfriend, former Rays legend Derek Dietrich. Even using a racquet, she landed a better first pitch than many celebrities, mayors, and Canadian pop stars!