- Red-hot Meadows helps keep Rays atop WC - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: The Rays were able to come out on top of a fun/stressful back and forth battle, thanks in large part to Meadows consistently coming through with the big hit (3 extra base hits).
- Tommy Pham joined the 20/20 club (20 HR and 20 SB)
- Postgame, Pham spoke about what it means to be in that exclusive club. Something that should make Rays fans very excited and the rest of the AL very scared: Tommy “has a plan” for this offseason to elevate more to add power:
- Of course, it’s the 2019 Rays so the good is met with more injuries: Pham left the game late with what was described as “right forearm tightness” which is not a fun diagnosis. Kevin Cash after the game:
#Rays Pham said he’s been dealing with some elbow discomfort and once the team took the lead he told Cash to take him out for Heredia because he didn’t feel comfortable throwing.— Juan Toribio (@juanctoribio) September 6, 2019
- Travis d’Arnaud took beating with some foul balls, and was replaced by Zunino for the 9th for “neck and shoulder tightness”. However, Cash said after that game that he “thinks he’s going to be okay”.
- Austin Pruitt has long been maligned, but he has stepped up huge in recent weeks. After another rock solid performance, Richard Justice had this great stat: Hitters have chased 22 of Pruitt’s 32 breaking balls below the zone the last month.
- Rays wish Aloha to Kean Wong (the hello kind)
- Wong on callup: ‘Oh my God, I’m a big leaguer’ - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: Wong had long awaited his chance to finally make it to the Show.
- Rays Kevin Cash on Kean Wong: ‘He deserves to be here’ - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times
- The Durham Bulls send their congrats to Kean Wong on his promotion:
2-time Governors’ Cup Champion— Durham Bulls (@DurhamBulls) September 5, 2019
2-time IL Postseason All-Star
2-time IL Midseason All-Star
2018 All-Star Game MVP
2018 Bulls Team MVP
2017 Triple-A National Championship Game MVP
And now: Tampa Bay Ray
Congrats to Kean Wong on his first career call-up to the bigs! pic.twitter.com/uUa3fl5oIw
- It’s the moments like these, where long time minor leaguers finally getting the call up that make baseball uniquely magical, and one of the biggest reasons I’m gonna miss the full 40 man September call-ups when it’s gone after this season.
#STLCards Kolten Wong on Kean's MLB call-up to the #Rays: "He was crying. When you work hard for so long and give your whole life to the sport, to finally reach the pinnacle of it is pretty cool. Definitely a lot of emotion coming out and a lot of excitement." (h/t @markasaxon)— Josh Tolentino (@JCTSports) September 5, 2019
- Reliever Nick Anderson has been dominant since being traded to Rays - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic: Anderson has been the best pitcher traded since the deadline.
- Ryan Yarbrough Has Stepped Up For The Tampa Bay Rays - Jack Weber, Last Word On Baseball: Yarby made headlines last year for pioneering a new role, now he’s grabbing them for filling a very old school one.
- Sogard reveals dream matchup, ‘Cool’ fan - Jessica Camerato, MLB.com: Sogard went from new guy to fan favorite like overnight (although I must admit I’ve always been rooting for Nerd Power since his Oakland days).
- Analyzing the American League September Call-Ups - Eric Longenhagen, Fan Graphs: How do the Rays reinforcements stack up?
- Tampa Bay Rays are taking donations for Dorian relief efforts in the Bahamas:
Around the League
- Inside The Shed: Kirk Rueter’s tribute to Giants history has become an indelible part of the lore - Grant Brisbee, The Athletic: A delightful story, told only the way Grant can.
- What is the greatest collection of talent ever on one roster? - Sam Miller, ESPN: I’m a simple man, I see Sam Miller has a new piece out, I read the piece, I love it, I share it with all of you. I will warn you: there’s a lot of Yankee and Yankee teams.
- Brother v Brother: