- Rays-Cardinals swap a good old-fashioned win-win trade - David Schoenfield, ESPN ($)
- Finally after multiple years of pining after a Jose Martinez to the Rays trade, Petriello gets his wish:
Jose Martinez has been a True Ray for like 3 years, about time this happened https://t.co/xMz8075GI8— Mike Petriello (@mike_petriello) January 10, 2020
- Rays net J. Martínez in intriguing deal with Cards - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: Big, bold, and certainly fascinating trade from the Rays.
- Rays trade a top pitching prospect for immediate offensive help - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times ($)
- Jose Martinez trade grades: Rays pay for offense; Cards cash in some depth - Tom Gatto, Sporting News: A fairly reasoned grade for both teams.
- A player not to be overlooked in the big trade is the Rays new 12th best prospect: Randy Arozarena
#Rays Neander on Randy Arozarena: "We believe he is on the cusp of establishing himself as a very good major league player with meaningful upside."— Juan Toribio (@juanctoribio) January 10, 2020
- This play is silly and super fun:
- Tampa Bay Rays trade pitcher Austin Pruitt to Houston Astros - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times ($): Y’all finally got your wish. Just let it be known that I will say I told you so, and show zero decorum when Pruitt puts up a 3 WAR season with the Astros.
- Roe and the Rays settle on a deal in Arb.
Every year there are odd salaries that are agreed upon during salary arbitration. Rays reliever Chaz Roe might take the cake this year. He and the team have settled at $2,185,200, sources tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 10, 2020
- Coffee Time for “Cafecito” - Andy Martinez, La Vida Baseball: Newest Rays slugger, Jose Martinez, has a coffee business that helps kids back in his home country of Venezuela.
- More Jose Martinez stories:
Here’s a Jose Martinez story: He fishes at his neighborhood lake. Anyone who shows up is free to join him. Neighborhood teenagers often do. They FaceTime their friends, who answer and freak out because it’s Jose Martinez on the screen. He also DJs at a local bar. Just for fun.— Ben Frederickson (@Ben_Fred) January 10, 2020
- Colin Poche Doesn’t Need To Throw So Many Fastballs - Michael Augustine, Fan Graphs: The development of Poche’s Slider added a much needed element to his already fascinating game. As Augistine argues, that Slider is potentially key to taking it to the next level.
- Speaking of Poche:
- The Rays’ Ryan Yarbrough Is The Most Underrated Pitcher In Baseball - Tony Blengino, Forbes: Yarby gets some big time love with this profile in Forbes.
- 2020’s top rookie? We asked MLB execs - Jim Callis, MLB.com: Where does Brendan McKay stand vs the other rookies that could make a splash around the league in 2020?
- Old friend headed to Pittsburgh:
Official: We have signed outfielder Guillermo Heredia to a one-year contract for the 2020 season. pic.twitter.com/gJnrDpm5zR— Pirates (@Pirates) January 9, 2020
- Five things to look for at Tiger Bay forum with Jane Castor, Rick Kriseman, and George Cretekos - Janelle Irwin Taylor, FlaPol
- Chaim Bloom expects to keep Mookie Betts in Boston for 2020 season - Russ Reed, WCVB ABC: Bloom has begun his Boston career already starting to see some restless Bostianians worries about the direction of the team, with early panic over the future of Mookie.