Wild Day in Baseball
We had this doozy of an awful take (rightly dunked on by many members of the baseball world):
“To go public with it and call them out and start all of this, it’s hard to swallow.”— Golic and Wingo (@GolicAndWingo) January 16, 2020
-@jessmendoza on former Astros pitcher Mike Fiers revealing the Astros sign-stealing scheme. pic.twitter.com/LSQY6B0dSC
Then the day really kicked off with the big news of Carlos Beltran and the Mets parting ways:
- Beltrán, Mets mutually part ways - Anthony DiComo, MLB.com: Again, that mutually is really putting some strain on the side eye I’m giving it.
Then this wild bombshell from somebody claiming to be Beltran’s niece sent the day from 0-60 real quick:
Screencapped before deletion: pic.twitter.com/CFt8z7XKRC— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) January 16, 2020
Carlos Beltran’s niece ain’t his niece you hooligans. That’s a player.— Gary Sheffield Jr. (@GarysheffieldJr) January 16, 2020
Old friend getting in on some tin foil hat action
Remember, Altuve’s weird excuse for not wanting his shirt ripped off? DRaysBay remembers:
Now, this is not a completely new allegation either. From November, there was this article:
- Astros sign-stealing scandal: MLB execs reportedly think buzzing bandages may have been used to relay pitches - Mike Axisa, CBS Sports
Trevor Bauer has also made allusions to this in the past. Today he moved from allusions to soft allegations:
I’ve heard this from multiple parties too, for what it’s worth... https://t.co/zDlp0x4bKs— Trevor Bauer (@BauerOutage) January 16, 2020
Other player reactions:
I would rather face a player that was taking steroids than face a player that knew every pitch that was coming.— Alex Wood (@Awood45) January 16, 2020
I’m in a mood right now after hearing the latest bs teams have been up to.— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher22) January 16, 2020
What happened to the term “cheaters never prosper”?— Evan Longoria (@Evan3Longoria) January 16, 2020
I do not agree with Tom that what the Astros did is a league-wide problem. I played for 4 teams and never saw it. An OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of guys play the game straight up. https://t.co/uf8E3GctNp— Trevor Plouffe (@trevorplouffe) January 17, 2020
- Jose Altuve on defensive after Twitter buzzer bombshell - Dan martin and Joel Sherman, New York Post: Altuve (and his agent Scott Boras) on the defense after day in the crosshairs.
- Finally, if you want the cliff-notes version of today, here’s simply the best video on the internet on the subject:
Everything You Need To Know About The Current State Of Major League Baseball As Told By Mean Girls pic.twitter.com/2HrKoY0yJc— Julia (@jquadddddd) January 17, 2020
- Some big time Rays prospects join Neil on RaysRadio for This Week in Rays Baseball:
- Ranking the best prospects who’ve changed addresses so far this winter - Keith Law, The Atheltic ($): Rays traded and added some pretty highly thought of prospects.
- Old friend in a new place: Drew Smyly signs with San Francisco Giants
- How Arrojo fulfilled ‘impossible’ dream with Rays - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: Terrific read to learn more about one of the earliest Devil Rays stars.
Around the League
- MLB’s first woman coach: Giants hire Alyssa Nakken, former Sac State softball player - Kerry Crowley, The Mercury News: Not to be missed in today’s whirlwind of news, some very cool history was made on gabe Kapler’s coaching staff in San Francisco with the hiring of Alyssa Nakken. Good luck to Alyssa!