Something to look forward to after the weekend, Eno Sarris is set to do a dive into the stat defining Driveline’s “Stuff” metric. The top 10 by that metric are a bunch of very interesting relievers with some very disgustingly unfair stuff for sure.
Per Driveline Baseball’s Stuff metric (which will be under the hood on my starting pitcher ranks coming out Monday), the top relievers by stuff:— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) January 31, 2020
1) J Karinchak
2) E Clase
3) M Barnes
4) D Maples
5) J Hicks
6) C Roe
7) B Abreu
8) B Graterol
9) P Fairbanks
10) R Pressly
The Rays placed two on the list with Chaz Roe at number 6 (makes sense, we’ve seen his Slider). But the real eye opener is number 9, that of young Mr. Fairbanks. Peter Fairbanks was acquired for fringe top 100 prospect Nick Solak, in what became one of the more talked about and criticized trades of the Rays deadline. Fairbanks didn’t get a chance to do much in the big leagues as the Rays bullpen was quite stacked in the 2nd half. However, Fairbanks has some explosive fastballs and a filthy breaking ball.
Him ranking so highly on a metric based around the best “stuff” in the sport bodes well for potentially another surprise breakout Rays reliever.
Bonus sneak peak:
Using that for my rankings but Glasnow #1— Eno Sarris (@enosarris) January 31, 2020
- Going Deep: Trying to Explain Willy Adames - Matt Wallach, Pitcher List: 2019 was a strange season for Willy at the plate, as reverse splits and home/road splits were wild. What’s in store for the Rays young shortstop in 2020?
- These 9 players could change everything - Richard Justice, MLB.com: Yandy Díaz gets serious respect from Justice here.
- Blake Snell back home in Washington state:
- Dynasty Hot 100: Your Fantasy Draft Guide To First-Year Players - Carlos Collazo Ben Badler Matt Eddy, Baseball America: A few Rays make the list for fantasy purposes.
- Here’s each team’s best non-Top 100 prospect - Mike Rosenbaum and Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: The Rays have quite a few choices that could have taken their spot, but I can’t argue with who they chose to represent the Rays selection.
- Tampa Bay Rays: Grievance Denied- Time to Break Bank on Kris Bryant - Seth Carter, Rays Colored Glasses: Should the Rays pull the trigger on the big price tag it would take to real in Bryant? Seth Carter thinks so.
- 2020 Prospect Position Rankings: Shortstop - Baseball America: I bet you can guess who is number 1!
- What’s up with the Rays and St. Pete? Rick Kriseman won’t say ‘publicly’ - Josh Solomon, Tampa Bay Times: Lots of drama from the city council meeting.
St Pete Mayor has a public comment:
Sisters, sisters! There were never such devoted sisters:
In response to the St. Petersburg City Council’s Committee of the Whole meeting today, the Tampa Bay Rays have issued the following statement. pic.twitter.com/1cfhnTpWLn— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) January 30, 2020
- Rockies Hire Peter Bourjos As Advance Scout - Mark Polishuk, MLB Trade Rumors: Old friend in a new position.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers looked at as sleeping giant for Tom Brady in 2020 as free agency looms, per report - Tyler Sullivan, CBS Sports: In Grass Rays news, could Tom Brady be coming to the Bay?
- This lady is my new hero: