The Rays have won Game 1 on the ALCS via the one-run victory they’ve practically patented over the last two seasons.
Tampa Bay may not have a ton of playoff experience — Morton, Loup, and Arozarena, who got four plate appearances last year, are the only three players who have appeared in an LCS — but, as Kevin Cash discussed afterwards, they have experience where it counts: in close games.
Tampa Bay’s win was their 60th consecutive W when leading after seven innings.
Here are the highlights from the game:
For our ALCS Game 1 first pitch, who other than "Big Game" James! pic.twitter.com/5iTCJYtA5R— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) October 11, 2020
Opposing manager — aka the only good thing about the Astros — on losing a close one:
And the Rays players on the big night:
On to the links:
- Topkin: Jose Alvarado earns his way back into Rays bullpen | Tampa Bay Times
- Matheson: Rays ‘in awe’ of Arozarena’s offensive surge | MLB
- Matheson: Castillo saves Game 1 — and maybe Game 2? | MLB
- Carig: ALCS Game 1 shows lack of off-days will strain bullpens, prompt tough choices | The Athletic
- Lindbergh: The Yankees Were Done in by Depth, Not ALDS Decision-Making | The Ringer
- Longenhagen: AL Championship Series Preview: Houston Astros vs. Tampa Bay Rays | FanGraphs
- Romano: Rays don’t just have a stable, they have a freaking horse farm | Tampa Bay Times
- Solondz: Charlie Morton gets the ball for the Rays in game two of the ALCS | Rays Radio