- Rays Manager Kevin Cash Trusts Front Office Will Make the Right Moves - Neil Solondz, RaysRadio: Cash sees more moves to be made, but is confident in the team as is with plenty of young talent with ladders to step up and make an impact in 2021.
- As Kevin Cash reflects on World Series backfire, Tampa Bay Rays prepare for 2021 return - Gabe Lacques, USA Today
- All I want for Christmas is a Honeyday in 2021!
The #Rays say Brent Honeywell underwent right elbow arthroscopic surgery on Wednesday, performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache in Los Angeles. The successful minor procedure was done to relieve mild discomfort and it is NOT expected to impact his 2021 season.— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) December 17, 2020
- Rays’ prospect Brent Honeywell undergoes another surgery - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Surgery is always scary, and obviously with Honeywell we are all waiting with bated breath for him to return, but this thankfully sounds pretty minor.
- Fellow skippers reflect on Kevin Cash’s Blake Snell decision in the World Series - Andy McCullough, The Athletic: Has this horse been beaten to death yet, or are their folks still eager to take a couple swings?
- Rays Zunino Happy to Return to Tampa Bay - Neil Solondz, RaysRadio: I know he’s a polarizing figure, but I’m firmly still in the “Mike Zunino is Good” camp. Rays pitchers have been extremely happy to throw to him, and having him back in the catcher rotation is a good move for the Rays.
- Rays’ Ryan Yarbrough’s latest pitch: Holiday giveaways - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Yarbyclaus is coming to town!
- Fun with visuals!
My version is far less visually appealing BUT it is reproducible for the other 29 teams! pic.twitter.com/7dRFJeJBDF— Ethan Moore (@Moore_Stats) December 17, 2020
Around the League
- How Negro Leaguers may alter leaderboards - Mike Petriello, MLB.com: Really neat look into how the stats have shifted with the long overdue integration both leagues.
- MLB is finally recognizing Negro Leagues stats, but Josh Gibson won’t become baseball’s official home run king - Matt Snyder, CBS Sports
- Old friends in new places as Brewers add to former Rays:
The #Brewers have signed LHP Hoby Milner and OF Dylan Cozens to Minor League contracts with invitations to Major League camp.— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) December 18, 2020
- ZiPS 2021 Projections: Boston Red Sox - Dan Szymborski, Fan Graphs: Check in on the projections and outlook for one of the key Rays rivals.
- Baseball needs to figure out what it wants the game to be - Howard Bryant, ESPN
- Ultra-Rare Honus Wagner Card Sells for $3.7M to Real Estate Mogul Kurt Rappaport - Mike Chiari, Bleacher Report
- What Should Be the New Name of Cleveland’s Baseball Team? - Sports Illustrated: The SI staff share their picks for the next Cleveland Baseball Team’s name.