- No longer a novelty, Rays fear no one - even the Yankees - in 2020: ‘We’re stacked’ - Gabe Lacques, USA TODAY: It’s hard not to consider the Rays underdogs, with stacked payrolls in the Bronx and Boston, or trashcans and buzzers in Houston, but nobody is going to want to face the Rays in 2020.
- Update on Fan Graphs 2020 International Free Agent THE BOARD, with the Rays expected to sign the top IFA available.
For more info about the potentially newest Rays signee (when it becomes official in a few months):
- The Ray Way: ‘It all starts with a thought’ - Richard Justice, MLB.com: To borrow a Mickey Mantle quote: It’s unbelievable how much you don’t know about the game you’ve been playing all your life.
- What’s notable about Rays’ Blake Snell this spring? - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times $): A return to form for Snell.
- Dead Money on 2020 MLB Team Payrolls - Craig Edwards, Fan Graphs: Rays have some dead money on the payroll, but a quick glance towards Boston’s books and suddenly it doesn’t seem that bad at all.
- Rays set Jan. 2022 timeline for Montreal/Tampa Bay split season deal - Dan Matics, Fox13
- Ji-Man is already in mid-season form:
Around the League
- Severino (forearm) shut down, to be evaluated - Bryan Hoch, MLB.com: Not great news for the Yankees before Spring Training has even fully gotten underway.
- Friendly fire in Cleveland’s camp:
Jose Ramirez hit by Cam Hill pitch on the foot and goes down. Limps to dugout. Update coming.— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) February 20, 2020
- Mike Fiers says he’s received death threats over Astros cheating scandal, plans to keep ring - Susan Slusser, San Francisco Chronicle: Fandom can be a truly scary thing.
- For Your Begrudging Enjoyment, a Batted Ball Refresher - Ben Clemens, Fan Graphs: Really fascinating dive into what batters control and what pitchers control.
- Baseball’s ‘Miracle on Grass’: An oral history - Adam McCalvy, MLB.com: Olympic miracles to get you pumped for both baseball season and Olympics season.