- Which clubs will rise to superteam status in 2020? - Craig Edwards, ESPN ($): The Rays getting some mega praise from ESPN.
- Rays prepared for run at AL East crown in ‘20 - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: Rays may or not be at “superteam status”, but they are a damn good team in position to make a deep run in 2020.
The PECOTA raw projections are out, and in terms of outlook for the Rays perspective is a couple of key pieces on the biggest to disappoint lists:
- PECOTA 2020: 14 Hitters Who Will Disappoint - Patrick Dubuque, Baseball Prospectus: The algorithm is extremely bullish on Austin Meadows chances of being as good as he was in 2019.
- PECOTA 2020: 11 Pitchers Who Will Disappoint - Jeff Wiser, Baseball Prospectus: Tyler Glasnow may have some of the best stuff in the game, but the algorithim cares not for such flights of human fancy.
- The Biggest Holes on Contending Teams, Part Three: The Outfield - Ben Clemens, Fan Graphs: The Rays make the list with less of a large hole, but a lot of questions in the OF.
- MLB: Montreal sharing plan ’100 percent’ best way to keep Rays in Tampa Bay - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: The other owners are on board with a plan that allows them to pay less in revenue sharing while not costing them a dime or having to do anything themselves? Shocking.
- A peek into Trop negotiations as Rays, St. Petersburg play hardball - Josh Soloman, Tampa Bay Times
- Good people, those Lowe’s:
During #RaysFanFest on Saturday, @Sweet_n_Lowe5 & @madz_lowe will be hosting a Lowe's Legends youth clinic! Players will go through various stations, meet Brandon and Madison and learn more about their experiences through baseball and softball.https://t.co/brH7lcm8Jq | #RaysUp pic.twitter.com/t2ywEXM1Gv— Rays Community (@RaysCommunity) February 6, 2020
Around the League
- Introducing: PECOTA 2020 - Jonathan Judge, BaseballProspectus: The new PECOTA projections are arriving. Everybody, preemptively grab your pitchforks!
- Max Muncy and the Dodgers agreed on a new 3 year deal.
- Hank Aaron says perpetrators in Astros sign-stealing scheme ‘should be out of baseball’ - Chris Bumbaca, USA Today: They don’t call him Hammerin’ Hank for nothing!
- The awkward break-up of the winter continues to stay awkward and promises to maybe get even worse!
Red Sox are said to be trying to reconfigure the part of the Betts 3-team deal with the Twins (meaning more than Graterol). While there’s still hope the mega deal gets done in some form, some involved are now suggesting it’s not a certainty.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 7, 2020
- Welcome to the “team branding making the team blogs name out of date” club, Lookout Landing!