On this (opening) day in 2004, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays knocked off the New York Yankees 8-3 in the Tokyo Dome. Jose Cruz Jr. smacked a solo dinger, and Tino Martinez went 3 for 3 with a two run blast. Victor Zambrano worked six innings, giving up three runs on six hits in picking up the win. The Rays stay at the top of the standings would last ... one day. But still!
News and Links:
- A new Zunino entered the world. Congrats to Mike and Alyssa!
Welcome to the world Paisley Grace! She was born on 3/28 at 4:29am weighing 6 lbs 11 oz. She is such a blessing and we are so in love! God is so good! We love you more than you know baby girl! pic.twitter.com/SDLoFKqY3g— Alyssa Zunino (@AlyssaZunino) March 28, 2020
- Here’s a warm fuzzy piece about Anthony Banda.
INKED IN INSPIRATION: Anthony Banda has several tattoos, but there's one that stands out from the rest.— Grace Remington (@GraceRemiWTSP) March 10, 2020
How his young son helped him return to the mound after losing two seasons to Tommy John surgery:#RaysUp #Rays @RaysBaseball pic.twitter.com/epbKqEVTjf
- The Rays 2020 Media Guide is out if you’ve got some time to kill. Which, of course you do.
436 pages of Rays baseball information.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) March 28, 2020
We got your light weekend reading here. https://t.co/fLIWZiQ0mm pic.twitter.com/8Nljrs8hJb
- David Schoenfield chronicles the best regular season pitching performances of each major league club. For the Rays, Chris Archer’s one-hitter ekes out a win over Matt Garza’s no-no. And there are a couple other Rays appearances, but on the wrong side of the ledger.
- Topper on what the Rays roster might look like when we finally get playing. $
- Josh Tolentino on the growth of Willy Adames. $
- The Hardball Times is closing down temporarily.
- Thomas Harrigan runs down the best pitchers to never win a Cy Young.
- Buried at the bottom of this piece is a mention of our very own Brett Phillips.
- We feel you guys:
We miss baseball.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) March 28, 2020