The Athletic, arguably the leading sports news outlet right now and decidedly a leader in the daily discussions among sports media stories, continued their “What If” series today with their first Rays-centric article, and I’ll give you five guesses what they chose to talk about: What if... The Tampa Bay Rays actually played in Tampa?
Now, I am not a Florida resident, and honestly the stadium discussion is not my general strong suit, so I’ll save my thoughts, but needless to say, it was quite interesting to get the views of not just the local beat writer for the Rays at The Athletic, but also the many people he talked to, as well as the commenters on the article, who have thoughts. Check it out for yourself.
News and Links
- Wander Franco, a special talent, or so we’ve heard.
- Greatest Rays moment: Game 7 in 2008 or Game 162 in 2011? ($$) What say you, reader!
- If you are into Logan Morrison and real estate, this piece is for you.
- If there is indeed a return to baseball and there’s a new look to the divisions, Rays Colored Glasses has you covered.
- Put The Crime Dog in the Hall! ($$)
- Eyeballs, indeed, Sugar Shane:
- Kiley McDaniel’s 2020 MLB Mock Draft 1.0. ($$)
- A fun baseball anecdote involving a couple of ex-Rays:
And as a reminder, my favorite Delmon Young story:— Brandon Warne (@Brandon_Warne) May 11, 2020
Denard Span and a bunch of players were working on bunting during BP.
Delmon: “Why do you guys bunt so much if you never do it in a game?”
Denard: “Why do you work on hitting homers in BP and never do it in a game?”
- An interesting non-Rays baseball article debating the merits of stolen bases and SB% as statistics without context.
- If any of you somehow haven’t been reading Joe Posnanski’s Top Players and Moments series, YOU NEED TO FIX THAT! Here’s a fun one on the connection of the hot dog to baseball history. ($$)