- Rays ace Blake Snell says he refuses to play for reduced MLB salary - ESPN: So, Blake made some news...
- Blake Snell stands by comments, says he’ll stream despite latest viral moment - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic:
“I will play if I get 50 percent and we play 50 percent of the season. But to accept making less than that and with more risks for our health, it’s not fair to the players.”
- Your honor, my client (Blake Snell) pleads temporary stupidity - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times: Romano’s hot take on the big Snell quotes from last night.
- Kevin Cash, ever the diplomat:
#Rays Cash didn't want to say much on Blake Snell's comments, but said, “I would imagine that there are players that feel and have concerns about their specific health and the health of their family and teammates, and I think that’s fair."— Juan Toribio (@juanctoribio) May 14, 2020
- Bryce Harper weighed in publicly on his own stream:
Several players reached out to #Rays Blake Snell directly after his comments last night and now more are saying it publicly.— Josh Tolentino (@JCTSports) May 15, 2020
Not everybody will agree, but #Phillies Bryce Harper is the latest to back him: “I love Snell. Somebody has to say it.” https://t.co/VQXQRWC2IB pic.twitter.com/lnVREmcsFs
Rest of the News
- ‘Excited and optimistic,’ Cash staying ready - Juan Toribio, MLB.com
- More than money, players’ health concerns could challenge MLB restart - Marc Carig, The Athletic
- (Some of) the greatest quotes in Rays’ history - Joey Knight, Tampa Bay Times
- What If... the Tampa Bay Rays actually played in Tampa? - Josh Tolentino, The Athletic: Great dive into the big what if Rays fans are constantly considering.
- Rays-Indians Francisco Lindor trade would ‘level playing field’ with Yankees - Randy Miller, NJ.com: Wild and unsubstantiated speculation, but what else do we have to talk about right now?!
- Which 15 Players Should The Rays Protect In An Expansion Draft? - Tim Dierkes, MLB Trade Rumors: Tricky hypothetical for who you would protect.
- KK speeding the way:
- Flashback to the last Rays Complete Game Shutout:
- How the abbreviated 2020 MLB draft impacts this year and beyond - Kiley McDaniel, ESPN
- Reports: Former A’s manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Henry Schulman, San Francisco Chronicle
- Another Day, Another New Plan Projected - Dan Szymborski, Fan Graphs: Who benefits the most baseball wise from the newest 2020 season plan?
- Frequent Tests and No Spitting: How Baseball Plans to Keep Players Healthy - Jared Diamond and Louise Radnofsky, Wall Street Journal: Some details on MLB’s proposal to overcome the hurdles on the health and safety side of starting the season.
- Commissioner Rob Manfred outlined the MLB safety proposal:
- Those who test positive will be quarantined until they test negative twice— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) May 15, 2020
- Those who have been in contact with positive tests will have instant testing as well