Blake Snell swept past Lucas Giolito on Sunday to claim the Players League title. This came after sweeping Gavin Lux in the first round and beating Jeff McNeil two games to one in the semifinals.
He did it behind strong showings from Willy Adames...
Austin Meadows ...
The normally aggressive Snell emphasized using patience in the Finals against Gigolito.
And isn’t it nice to talk about real (fake) games for a change?
News and Links:
- Marc Topkin at the Times gives the latest in the plans for baseball moving forward.
The preferred plan would be to start play in late June or early July with as many teams as possible playing in home parks, such as the Rays at Tropicana Field, while competing in their regular divisions with an abbreviated schedule of at least 80 games.
- Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens opened up about the tragedy of losing his wife, son, and mother-in-law, and how his faith carried him through the darkest days. Grab a tissue if you’re going to read this one.
- Outsports Dawn Ennis dubs the Tampa Bay DRays rainbow jersey the coolest of all time,
- The Tampa Bay Times comes out in favor of playing baseball and hockey.
- John Romano is also pining for some games.
- Mike Petriello talks about strange places teams have played. The DRays/Rays visits to Orlando make an appearance.
- Mike Castrovince runs down the strangest trades in baseball history.
- Joe Posnanski continues his “60 moments” series by writing about the final day of the 2011 season. No idea how this is only number 55.
- R.J. Anderson runs down who has the best curveball. (The answer is Charlie Morton, but Tyler Glasnow also makes an appearance.)
- Frank Fitzpatrick at the Philadelphia Inquirer writes about a summer in Williamsport PA without the Little League World Series.
- Former All-Star Matt Keough passes at 64.
- MLB and umpires come to an agreement on pay during the pandemic, clearing a huge obstacle for getting games restarted.
- Indians reliever Emmanuel Clase — acquired in the Kluber trade — has been suspended 80 games for PED use.