After Major League Baseball’s proposal for 60 game season full pro-rata (among other things) came out, there was a alot of renewed hope that an Opening Day in 2020 was becoming closer to reality. The MLBPA sent a counter proposal for a longer season with fewer off days, with the details coming out today:
Per source, union proposing season to start 7/19, end on 9/30. Spring training would begin 6/26-28. Asking for $50M posteason pool if full playoff is staged in ‘20 and 50/50 split of incremental TV revenues for additional postseason games in 2021.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) June 18, 2020
And then reports surfaced that some owners were outraged and furious at the prospects of playing...10 more games:
Echoing what many owners are saying after believing they had the basis for an agreement. Source-“may be the worst proposal of all time.” Anytime the word “worst” is associated with a proposal-it’s really hard to see a good outcome. Not that anyone involved cares-but wow-bad look.— Karl Ravech (@karlravechespn) June 18, 2020
I cannot possibly take any owner serious that is truly “outraged” by having to pay for an extra 10 games. 60 vs 70 games is not a huge gap. Certainly not big enough to be the main sticking point to put a whole season in danger. If the rest of the terms are agreeable, this gap in proposed games is surely (hopefully, please?) not insurmountable.
Just give us a 69 game season. You know you want to.
- Major League Baseball celebrates Juneteenth - Alyson Footer, MLB.com
- Union response doesn’t bode well for quick MLB deal - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay TimesL Topkin is not so confident in a deal happening any time soon.
- Rays signed another of their draft picks:
- Topkin reporting that Williams is signing under slot:
#Rays deal with Alika Williams is for $1,850,000, slightly under slot value of $1,999,300— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 18, 2020
- Some Yandy praise from the Athletic on the newest episode of the Rates & Barrels podcast:
️ Rates & Barrels, Ep. 105 ⚾️@enosarris & @DerekVanRiper close out their divisional rewind series with the AL East.— The Athletic Fantasy (@TheAthleticFS) June 18, 2020
Spotify: https://t.co/TsqYelY5Hk pic.twitter.com/jIOsvzSwpf
- Marcus Stroman offers advice, inspiration at Tampa youth baseball practice - Mari Faiello, Tampa Bay Times
- The Bucs (aka the Grass Rays) unveiled Gronk in the new unis:
- Can you name the Tampa Bay Rays Top 50 All-Time WAR (fWAR)?: Take the Sporcle quiz and post your score in the comments.