- Rays’ Meadows tests positive for COVID-19 - Juan Toribio, MLB.com: Meadows gave approval to announce he did indeed test positive. Unclear how long he will be out, but obviously all of us wish him the best of health and luck in his recovery.
- Rays think outside the box with five infielders, two outfielders - Rick Stroud, Tampa Bay Times: Seems like the 2 man OF idea is not just a wild dream, but potentially another quirky strategy for the Rays to roll out at some point in the future.
#Rays Cash said they were experimenting with the two-man outfield and would consider it using it with a heavy groundball pitcher on the mound.— Juan Toribio (@juanctoribio) July 16, 2020
- Was Gio González Falling Behind on Purpose? - Tony Wolfe, Fan Graphs: Featuring a Yonny Chirinos sighting.
- Get to know the Snellzilla a bit more:
- Brandon Guyer Looks Back - David Laurila, Fan Graphs: Reminiscing on a damn solid career from the Rays HBP champ.
- ‘New Sort of Family Unit’: MLB’s Families Navigate an Unusual Season - Emma Baccellieri, Sports Illustrated: Fantastic look into the very different, very weird, and very tricky family dynamics at play during this incredibly stressful and weird season to be.
- Every uniform number ever, ranked by value - Mike Petriello, MLB.com: I have missed the enjoyable and kooky baseball deep dive articles that we usually have dozens of by now in the season. So thank you, Mike!
- A baseball trade!
The Kansas City Royals have acquired outfielder Franchy Cordero from the San Diego Padres for reliever Tim Hill, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 17, 2020
Cordero has massive power and has played all three OF positions. Hill has been an effective lefty for the last two years.