- Welcome back, Rays offense. We’ve miss you, oh so much!
His boots weren't made for walkin' pic.twitter.com/mdIEW8Fpll— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) May 14, 2021
- Rays’ bats awaken as Hill shuts down Yanks - Adam Berry, MLB.com: The Rays offense comes down to if Randy Arozarena, Austin Meadows, and Brandon Lowe perform. Well, when they do they can explode!
- What panic? Rays’ bats turn hot in blasting Yankees - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Hitting Coach Chad Mottola said not to panic. We should just listen to the man!
- Speaking of Mountains, ol Rich Hill was dazziling. One of the best sequences was this K’ing of the side of Gardner, DJ, and Stanton making them all look all sorts of silly:
Dick Mountain, K'ing the Side. ⛰️ pic.twitter.com/3uR0lCvuoL— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) May 14, 2021
- The Rays Closer returns:
#Rays option Louis Head to Durham, which creates a spot to activate Castillo— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) May 14, 2021
- Will Wander Franco be the next big debut? - Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: With the Kelenic and Gilbert excitement in the Pacific Northwest, the eyes of baseball continue to be training at Durham and Tampa Bay, waiting for the top prospect in the game’s time.
- Mets’ Pete Alonso excited for homecoming series vs. Rays - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: The Rays will welcome the Tampa boy and the rest of the Mets to the Trop.
- Yoshi Tsutsugo was a bust, but at least he didn’t break the bank - John Romano, Tampa Bay Times: He was disappointing, but he doesn’t reach the level of worst Rays FA (Pat the Bat forever has that title in my book).
- The quickest way to see a role in the majors for some of the bigger prospects in Durham will be defensive versatility (also, to keep hitting):
This is only Durham’s 8th game of the season and we’ve already seen some major defensive shuffling. The following players have already made starts at:— Rays Metrics (@RaysMetrics) May 13, 2021
Bruján: 2B, 3B, LF, CF, RF
Franco: 2B, 3B, SS
Walls: 2B, SS
Versatility is definitely a #Rays priority. https://t.co/QfuwHbRAnc
Around the League
- Lucas Giolito Changed His Delivery, And Pitchers Around MLB Are Following His Lead - Brian Menéndez, FiveThirtyEight: Oh hey, welcome to the big times for DRaysBay’s own Brian Menéndez’ FiveThirtyEight debut article.
- Not a Moment Too Soon: Mariners Promote Kelenic, Gilbert - Brendan Gawlowski, Fan Graphs
- Nick Solak Is Quietly Coming Into His Own For The Texas Rangers - Jules Posner, Forbes
- Now the elder statesman, Evan Longoria remains driven, and is driving the surprising Giants forward - Peter Gammons, The Athletic
- ESPN’s 7-Year, $3.92 Billion Renewal With MLB Starts In 2022 - Maury Brown, Forbes
- Joey Gallo doesn’t just hit bombs:
- Burnes finally did give up his 1st walk of the year, but not before he set a MLB record: