Rays have clinched their 3rd consecutive playoff spot. For context, this is an incredible accomplishment, worthy of celebration, and not something we should take lightly:
In a few innings, the Rays will likely clinch a playoff berth for the third year in a row. Teams that have never made the playoffs three years in a row:— Tyler Kepner (@TylerKepner) September 22, 2021
However, the team clearly has loftier goals in mind. Next up, it’s the AL East title. The current magic number is 4, with the Rays set to face the Miami Marlins at the Trop for the last 3 regular-season home games of 2021. Meanwhile, Boston is set to face off against the New York Yankees in Fenway in a battle of the current two Wild Card teams.
- How they got here: Rays ready to finish job - Adam Berry, MLB.com
- Rays are in playoffs, but with a lot more work to do - Marc Topkin, Tampa Bay Times: Lots of hurdles left in the 2021 season before the finish line, but the Rays have now crossed a major one.
- ‘Same old, same old’ for playoff-bound Rays - Adam Berry, MLB.com: Past playoff experience could play an important role in the next journey.
- Punishment was handed down for the Jays in their retaliation for the Bay of Cards scandal. Borucki did appeal, and pitched yesterday, giving up 3 hits and a run vs the Twins in a losing effort.
Per MLB sources: Multiple game suspension will be handed down on Ryan Borucki for the episode at The Trop yesterday.— Arash Madani (@ArashMadani) September 23, 2021
Expect Borucki to appeal.
Spoke with a veteran Blue Jay, who told me this: "I'm glad Borucki did that. It had to be done."
- Don’t Blame the Rays for Taking the Blue Jays’ Note Card - Emma Baccellieri, Sports Illustrated: Emma, as usual, has the best take on this whole silly mess.
- Erik Neander has earned his reputation as one of the game’s best, and especially his team’s trust:
- Erik Neander has turned this team into a 26-man wrecking machine - Zach Kirschner, Rays Colored Glasses
- Mike Zunino Powers Up - Ben Clemens, FanGraphs: It’s long been true, but this year especially - Mike Zunino is Good
- WanderWatch is on:
#Rays Franco grounded out and walked twice in rehab game with AAA @DurhamBulls. After 2nd walk, moved up to 2B and 3B on wild pitches, scored on a sac fly. Assuming all good with previously strained right hamstring expected to be activated from IL Friday or Saturday vs. #Marlins— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) September 23, 2021